The last time I wrote I had accepted a role and was off into the sunset employed and quite happy with myself. I did say I would review 3 months down the line. Here I am feeling quite unbalanced with a headache I can only associate with the devil himself.
The honey moon period of my job has worn off, I still like my co workers but I just do not feel as if my full potential has been reached. I know it’s just 3 months but I am not feeling that spark, that motivation, that enthusiasm.
I have come to realise during the past 3 months that many things in my uneventful life has called for me to feel like this. I am just going day to day, week to week, waiting on my pay check to give the government majority of what I earn and to keep a semi suitable roof over my head.
What a life for a 20 something year old.
The funny thing about it is this is not a strange narrative and many of my friends who do work feel the same way. This prompts me to ask the question what is life? What is life dear god?
There are many people/things to blame for this unfortunate occurrence, this burn out, this disillusionment with our young supposedly energetic and care free lives. Anyhow, this post will not be about blame game, but more about how I will try to remedy this feeling.
1. Make life about you, what you can do to be happy and what you can offer to make people happy.
I am starting this by leaving all things work related at the door after 5pm. Warning to all friends and family, do not ask me about work unless I decide to speak about it. Most likely it will just be work, uneventful lol.
Go out with work mates after work, but limit this activity because social life with work mates after work is an extension of work, believe me. Office politics and bitchiness will make its way all the way down to the bar…
Plan things to do in the week to look forward to, I give this advice all the time and rarely take it.
2. Try and be positive at work. Even if the task is mind numbing and some work colleagues are overly enthusiastic.
Fake it, fake the happiness, and stay AWAY from office politics. Office politics is more trouble than its worth, be neutral like Switzerland.
Take pride in your work, also a lesson I need to note. Just do your job the best you can and do not project your feelings on to your tasks.
3. Remember if you start from the bottom, the only other place is up.
I tend to worry a lot and my self confidence and self esteem is really getting a kick in the derriere. Continuing with self confidence, dress up and look like a big top dog when you enter your office. Looking good makes you feel good and this will continue in the day.
Also, self improvement is the way to go, learn a new skill. It could be simple like typing 60 words per minute. That’s a good skill to have professionally under your belt, though small can give a real boost to your confidence in the work place.
4. Make time for your friends. Probably not the make time for your friends to complain about your life, but make time so they can complain about theirs or not to complain at all. Just to talk about all sorts including the shallow celebrity drama that is floating around.
5. Eat well and keep a tidy space! One that I need to work on badly. I am so messy and so lazy. It affects my surroundings and my mood.
6. Remember, that with hard work and confidence things will work out. It will. Try to be positive about whatever situation you are in. Whether it be at work and you’re not feeling challenged, or at university you feel confused and feel like you aren’t doing well.
Clear your head and do your best. Your truth will be revealed.
I can attest to this because in my time of difficulty and challenges I can really put my situation in perspective and can put goals in my life. I feel partially renewed despite feeling like shit lol.